Feb 11, 2013

Chapter 26: Fucking Thankful


Chapter 26: Fucking Thankful
EPOV

            I almost couldn’t let Bella get out of the car. The fear that she would be taken from me was overwhelming. It consumed all of my rational thought, but Bella was right. Why would they think we had anything to do with Victoria being in the hospital? They wouldn’t look for her there. So there I stood, outside Victoria’s room drinking black crappy hospital coffee and flicking my Zippo open and closed, because it wasn’t like I could light up a cigarette in the middle of the goddamned unit. Bella thought it would be better for Victoria if she went in alone, so I was stuck outside trying to hear scraps of their conversation. Anytime someone passed me in the hallway I stared daggers at them until they had gone. Every passerby was a threat.
I was losing my fucking mind.
            “…but if you tell the police, they can’t come after you! They’ll be in prison!”
            Like the eavesdropper I was, I attempted to listen closer to the door that stood ajar.
            “I didn’t know you knew Victoria,” a man’s voice startled me.
            “Shit!” I exclaimed as I spun around and found myself face-to-face with my father. “Dad! …hi. Uhm, yea Bella works with her.” Relieved that it was just my father, I leaned back against the wall, sipping my coffee trying to regain a sense of calm.
            “I see.” My father’s crystal blue eyes were unreadable due to years of practice. “Well considering she only just told us her name, I’m concerned.”
            “Dad, shit’s a little fucked up with Victoria—.”
            “I’m aware Edward, and if she doesn’t get help and get clean she is going to die,” he admitted.
            “Yea, well if she doesn’t come clean to the cops, we’re all going to die,” I muttered into my Styrofoam cup.
            “What!?” Dr. Cullen growled, because the look on his face certainly wasn’t fatherly. Oh GODDAMNIT! I choked on my coffee; that did not just come out of my mouth.
            “Nothing. Christ! Calm down, dad” I couldn’t even look at him, but the linoleum floor wasn’t much better.
            “Edward, tell me what is going on, now! You kids have been acting oddly since Halloween, what the hell happened? What have you done this time? Are you selling drugs!?”
            “No, goddamnit! I’m not fucking selling drugs! It’s complicated, dad.”
            “I am a board-certified surgeon and have my Ph. D. in cellular biology, I think I can handle complicated, Edward,” he retorted pointedly, raking his hand through his short blonde locks.
            I leaned toward the open crack of Victoria’s door, “…but I’m not strong enough, Bella.” Huffing out my lingering frustration, I resigned my resistance.
            “I don’t even know where to begin,” I confessed to my feet, slumping further into the wall.
            “Try.”
            “VictoriaisJames’girlfriendandsheknowsabouthisdrugbusinessandhisbossisafterBella.” I muttered again to my feet.
            “Edward I’m serious!”
            “Well, fuck, dad!”
            “Watch your mouth! Do I need to take you to my office to talk about this—”
            “No!” I stopped him, “I can’t leave Bella. Ugh! Fine… Victoria is James Smith’s girlfriend…” Realization dawned on his pale face. Everyone in the small town of Forks knew James Smith, and if they did not before, they did now. Before he could voice his opinions or the conclusions he likely jumped to, I decided to get it all out, well… at least as much as I could allow.
            “And,” I continued, “she happens to know about James’ drug connections. Bella and I are trying to convince her to testify against the other guys involved with James.”
            “I see,” was all he said. I could see the wheels in his head turning, churning out an explanation as to how all the pieces of the puzzle fit together.
            “Dad, Victoria needs rehab, right?”
He nodded.
“She also needs to disappear after she gives her testimony against James and all that…”
Again, my father nodded.
“I would like to use some of my trust fund money from Nana and Papa to send her to a really good Rehabilitation Facility out of state.”
The shock on my father’s face said it all. His jaw hung slack as words failed to materialize out of his mouth. Sputtering, he coughed to attempt to regain some sort of composure.
“You want to do what, Edward?” He managed. “That is the most selfless thing… you’ve ever done. Why?”
“I’m not fucking selfish!” I spat. His eyes narrowed.
Language, son! I never said that you were selfish, but that is the most selfless thing you’ve ever done. I still do not understand why.”
“It would benefit more than just one person. It helps Victoria, Chief Swan… the whole town, really. I just want those guys off the streets where they can’t hurt people anymore.” That was the most truthful thing I could have said without explaining, in great detail, everything that had transpired and all of the fucking shit we’ve gone through and all the shit we still had yet to face. I needed him to understand the importance of this without him knowing every facet. I couldn’t betray Bella by giving him the particulars, and she came fucking first in this mess. I wish I could have told him that.
“I’ll see what I can do,” he declared after contemplation. “When did you grow up into such a fine man?”
“I, er, uhm… well I…” I sputtered and shrugged my shoulders, uncomfortable with the question.
He gave me a sidelong glance, studying something I wasn’t sure was there. His face melted from its previously stern state into something almost loving.
“She has been good for you, Edward,” he praised before side stepping me and pushing his way into Victoria’s room.
Aghast, I stood in the hallway against the wall blinking for longer than intentioned and then quickly followed him closely behind. His white lab coat billowed after his thin body and quick pace.
“…I don’t know… Oh! Dr. Cullen!” Victoria cried as we entered her private room.
“Victoria, if you do not kick this nasty little cocaine habit of yours, you will die. I told you earlier and I will tell you again, if you do not stay sober all of your organ systems will collapse, and you will die. And, as I understand it, you have some very important information about an illegal drug distribution group that has made Forks its basis of operations. It is paramount that you tell the police this information. I encourage it, but not only that, I have more to offer. If you promise to tell the police all you know, I will personally fund your highest-quality rehabilitation retreat where you will be perfectly safe from outside harm. If you do not comply with these terms I have lain out, I will have to turn you out of Forks Community Hospital now that you are not at a current risk of a stroke, do you understand?”
My father had never been so directly tough-love in all my life. It freaked me the fuck out. Maybe my dad was on my side with all of this. Maybe he did understand.
“So, I will be out on the street if I don’t go to rehab?” she questioned. Her tightly controlled expression gave away nothing. Bella’s own face was just as unreadable.
“I suppose so, unless, you have other means of getting yourself clean.” She didn’t. We all knew that. Without another word, he turned and left the room just as ominously as he had entered.
Upon his exit, Bella was the first to speak, but only after we all had a few moments to digest what just occurred.
“Vicky….” She attempted. Bella’s face set in determination as she tucked a vibrantly red streak of hair behind her ear. “We both know Dr. Cullen’s option is the only one you have… this way you won’t have to wonder if and when they found you… they wouldn’t! Those facilities very strictly monitor who goes in and out. You would be safe and healthy. Please don’t ignore this incredible opportunity for you.”
“I can’t take Dr. C’s money—”
“You won’t. It’s mine,” I interrupted. If she was going to get herself involved in this, she needed to know the truth and how much Bella and I were invested in this. The money was nothing to me, but Bella’s safety was everything.  “He had nothing to do with you going to rehab… we do. I’m paying for everything.” Her jaw slacked as she lost her resolve. I could see that whatever Bella had said to her while I was in the hallway was starting to sink in.
“Vicky, it’s like I said… we can protect you,” Bella insisted as she took a step closer to Victoria’s bed. Bella had no idea that I was going to offer this to Victoria and yet, she trusted me, or someone, to come through and for that I loved her, if possible, a little bit more.
A tear leaked out of the corner of Victoria’s eye as she considered her options. Confusion was the most frequent of all the rapidly shifting emotions that crossed her face.
“Ok,” she exhaled shakily, “I’ll do it.” Victoria’s chest lifted as the weight of the decision released the strangle-hold it had on her. Relief flooded my body as I walked towards Bella and wrapped my arms around her from behind.
“You’re saved,” I whispered in her multiply studded ear, holding her close.
“Because of you,” she countered.

.::.

            My dad called Forks’ police soon after Bella and I left the hospital. Emmett, Rosalie, Bella, and I pretended to watch a movie in their living while waiting for Charlie to come home. The wait was agonizingly slow, and not even Pineapple Express was enough of a distraction as the minutes ticked by. Quarter to ten, Charlie’s cruiser pulled into the driveway. Four pairs of eyes honed onto the front door awaiting any sort of news.
            “Looks like we found a break in the case,” Charlie exclaimed as he began removing his gear once inside the house. “A witness is willing to testify against those druggies we got involved with back in September.”
            “Wow, that’s great Dad!” Emmett ventured, the only one brave enough to speak.
            “Oh yea! Just like your show Law& Order, huh Bells?” Bella’s cheeks instantly stained pink. What’s this about Law & Order? I wondered, and why did it make Bella blush?
            “Yea,” was all Bella replied, her body unconsciously pressing closer into my side. Charlie took no notice.
            “It’s a good thing the Cullens invited us over for Thanksgiving, because I’m going to be really busy the next few days with work stuff. Hopefully I’ll be able to stop by for dessert?” he sheepishly asked.
            “Chief Swan, you are welcome at any time,” I assured. “Too bad you and Jasper are flying to Houston tomorrow, Rose. Bella is in charge of the desserts,” I teased, eliciting the famed Rosalie scowl.  Charlie shifted his weight uncomfortably as he looked at the four of us, not wanting to interrupt and yet not wanting to leave us alone either.
            “Well,” he awkwardly interrupted after a few minutes, “I better hit the hay so I can get an early start tomorrow. Good night ‘all! I know you don’t have school tomorrow, but don’t stay up too late.” We all called our own goodnights as he retreated up the stairs.
Once we heard the click of his bedroom door closing, we collectively breathed in relief. It felt safer with Charlie being home, despite the fact that the next few days would be so up in the air.
            I was fucking petrified something would go wrong.
            I felt a squeezing pressure on my hand and was met with Bella’s gaze. Staring into the charcoal lined chocolate, further framed with thick black lashes, my anxiety eased a degree.
            “It’s going to be ok,” she insisted, nodding lightly. I brought my fingers to her ivory cream skin of her cheek, stroking softly the few freckles that were scattered about.
            “I know,” I agreed. “It has to be.” With feather light touches, she absentmindedly played with the ring in my eyebrow as the corner of her lips lifted in a small half-smile. She brought her lips to mine in a chaste, reassuring kiss.
            “So…..” Emmett interrupted as our kiss separated, making a slight awkwardness settle in the room. “How about some of those brownies, Belley?” And then it lifted as quickly as it came.

            The next day I drove around Bella’s block three times, searching for anything out of the ordinary, before searching the woods behind her house. I was taking every fucking precaution. Inside the house, Bella looked as every bit as frantic as I felt. Flour caked her cheeks, the hair she had swept up into a very messy bun at the crown of her head, and the apron I had bought her from Anthropologie. Alice had had the stupid catalogue out lying out on the kitchen counter. Upon seeing the green apple pattern, I thought of Bella and bought it. Once again, she looked fucking edible in it.
            “Oh, hey Edward,” she huffed as she blew her fly-away bangs from her eyes, holding onto a pie plate, turning about face and setting it on the counter. Jose Gonzales’ Down the Line drifted from her iPod dock on the table. Don’t let the darkness eat you up…he sang to no one in particular. Approaching her from the side, I took her chin in my hand and brought her to my lips. Her anxiety melted as her shoulders lowered into a more natural and relaxed position.
            “Hello, Love,” I replied. “Can I help with anything?” An amused smirk formed on her pouty lips as one eyebrow arched, giving me her answer. “Alrighty then, I’ll just sit at the table and watch, if you’re sure.”
            “I’m sure,” she giggled, turning back to a bowl holding what looked like chocolate mousse. As I sat, I withdrew the lighter from my pocket, flicking it open and shut, watching the flames alight and extinguish. Flick, burn, snap. It had become habit instead of smoking as of late. Bella wasn’t a fan of cigarettes.
            “So… what are you making?” Flick, burn, snap.
            Without even a peak in my direction, she listed, “French Silk, apple, and pumpkin pie.”
            “Thanksgiving is not until tomorrow, Sugar.” Flick, burn, snap. Flick, burn, snap.
            Eliciting a glance and fiery eyes, Bella retorted, “Some things need to be made the night before, like the French Silk and Pumpkin pies and the apple pie dough. Plus, tomorrow I’ll be busy helping Esme cook. There’s so much to do!”
            “I see.” Flick, burn, snap.
            “Stop flicking that goddamned lighter,” she grumbled into the mixing bowl. Snap.
            “Well, fuck, Bella. You’re not the only one with nerves that are shot!” Almost as if the Universe was trying to prove my point, the front door burst open. Bella shrieked, dropped the bowl and spatula onto the counter, and whirled around clutching her heart. I was by her side in a flash, just in time to see Emmett stroll through the front door.
            “Saw my lady-love off at the airport and—whoa, what the fuck? Belley, you ok?” Although Emmett wasn’t the brightest sack of meat, even he saw the sheer terror in Bella’s eyes. “Edward, what’s going on,” he addressed me when Bella merely cocked her head from one side and then to the other.
            “Startled us, is all.” I answered right before Bella’s grip on her heart and my arm slacked as she crumbled to the floor in a pile of herself. Emmett jerked to move for her but my outstretched arm stopped him. I shook my head, telling him to go. Emmett’s humor couldn’t put Bella’s pieces back together in this situation: she needed me. I would be her fucking glue even if it took everything I had left in me.
            Immediately I joined her on the floor, pulling her to my lap. Her arms easily snaked around my neck as she gripped onto me for dear life. Her body shook as her head cradled itself into the nook of my neck. “Shhh” I cooed into her neck, rocking our bodies from side to side. Five songs on the iPod later, she sniffled and drew her head back.
            “Edward,” she croaked eyes leaking, “I can’t take this much stress anymore. I’m so scared all the time.” I ran my hand over her cheeks, trying to dry the salty tears that never ceased to flow.
            “We’re all fucking scared, baby. All of us.”
            “I’m scared of everything, though. Doors opening, floor boards creaking, the rain at my window. Everything is so uncertain right now, and therefore even more dangerous. I’m terrified Charlie is going to get hurt or killed and it will be my fault—”
            “Stop. It’s not your fucking fault, it’s James’ or Aro’s… but it sure as shit isn’t yours! Everything that we’ve done has been a reaction to things they have done. We’re innocent. You’re fucking innocent. In fact, you were unconscious when we turned James in. Please, Sugar, stop beating yourself up over this. We cannot control it; we can only control how we react to it.”
            Bella looked at me and merely blinked; her face expressionless. It was unnerving that for the first time I couldn’t read her emotions on her face.
            “You should take your own advice, Edward,” she finally replied, hinting at something I didn’t understand. When I didn’t say anything, she continued. “…with your mom.” It felt like I got sucker-punched in the gut. Neither of us had brought up my mother in weeks and it burned, and then I remembered Bella’s words to me that last time we spoke of her: life is pain. Life is out of our control. But we have to go on living it. You’re not responsible; you were a fucking child, an innocent. Remembering this, I realized that I truly had released my guilt over my mother’s death and in turn had been inspired by Bella’s words.
            “It was sort of yours to begin with,” I noted. Surprise colored her face.
            “How?”
            “After Halloween when we were discussing my mother, you told me I was innocent. It wasn’t my fault.”
            Bella’s own comprehension seeped into her skin, relaxing her rigid posture. That was the thing about us, we knew exactly what needed to be said to break through our barriers, our walls, our protective shields. She was my light in the darkness, and I was the raft she clung to when drowning.
            I took her in my arms again and held her impossibly close smelling her lilac and sugary scent. “You are my everything, don’t you know that,” I whispered. “I will die before they, or anyone else, hurt you.”
            “Promise?” she murmured into my shoulder.
            “Promise,” I assured.

.::.

            I convinced both Bella and Emmett to stay over, hesitant to leave them, okay her, over night without the security of knowing Charlie would be there. Unfortunately, my plan wasn’t well-fucking-thought out because Alice stole Bella away the moment we got to my house and I was stuck with Emmett. Ok, well being one of my best friends, it was still a good night.
            I awoke earlier than usual, needing to see my Sugar. I found Bella, my mother, and Alice all fluttering about the kitchen, the smell of bacon assaulting my nose.
            “I thought today was all about the dinner?” I observed as I entered the sacred room. Three pairs of eyes shot at my direction as invaded their space.
            “This is to tide you three men over until we women finish our masterpiece of a Thanksgiving meal, which will be served promptly at four-thirty,” Esme educated, scrambling some eggs. Bella smirked and turned back to her pancakes on the stove. Approaching her from behind, much like the day before in her own kitchen, I wrapped my arms around her waist, resting my chin on her shoulder. Lilacs, cinnamon, and the frosting of Bella’s skin assaulted my nose, causing a growing problem in my pants. Shit.
            “Mornin’ Sugar,” I ghosted into her neck, eliciting goose-bumps to erupt on her flesh. I could get used to this, finding my Bella in the kitchen everyday for the rest of our lives. Images of a future I never knew I wanted flashed in my mind. Aprons, breakfasts, lazy Sundays spent with books and music, children running around. As suddenly as it came to me, I knew that it was what I wanted with Bella and I would do anything to make sure we got our happy future; one free from secrets and unknown pasts.
            “Good morning Edward,” she returned, kissing me on the cheek, “pancakes will be done in a few minutes.” Knowing that I had been dismissed, I slumped onto the stool at the counter next to where Alice was chopping fruit, and shifted my semi so she couldn’t see.
            “Mornin’ Ally,” I greeted, popping a grape in my mouth.
            “Edward.” She nodded to the cutting board. Alice had a strange look on her face, one almost of, no… could she be fucking jealous? And then like the ass I was, I actually thought about what Alice was going through.
            “Sorry Jasper isn’t here to spend Thanksgiving with us,” I offered, shrugging my shoulders. With Bella, being emotional and raw was as natural as breathing seeing has how she was most of my soul, but with others, even Alice, it was a struggle. A sad smile tugged at her lips.
            “Thanks, but it’s ok. I mean, with everything that is going on it would be nice to be with him today, but I’m still with my family,” she confessed in a low tone, her smile deepening into something less painful-looking. I nodded because I knew. “We’ll all be ok in the end, so that’s comforting,” she added as an after-thought.
Throwing one arm around her shoulder, I hugged my sister. At times it was hard to remember that Bella and I were not the only two living with this dangerous secret. It was impossibly difficult on all of us and it shamed me that I had forgotten that. I could be such a bastard sometimes.
Emmett galloped into the kitchen soon after, the aroma of the food undoubtedly wafting through the house. My father joined everyone at the breakfast table when it was time. Though it made eating difficult, I never relinquished Bella’s hand throughout the meal. I think she needed it just as fucking much as I did. She, after all, was what I was most thankful for.
Renee called in the early afternoon to wish her children well on this holiday. Although she had never been the motherly type, her love gushed for her two angels, as she had said. Renee especially got the waterworks going when she said that she was thankful Bella survived. Even Emmett grunted and looked away to hid his own emotional reaction to Renee’s speaker-phone confession.
We had yet to hear from Charlie.
Bella kept busy cooking and baking in the kitchen throughout the day along with the other women-folk, but every once and a while I’d catch her looking at the door with poorly masked trepidation and anxiety. Both my father and I filtered from the football game in the living room to watching our ladies make their magic. Mouthwateringly fragrant foods tantalized my nose and stomach. It was torturous foreplay for the meal to come.
“Can I help?” I offered after being teased with watching the food preparation for the previous hour. Esme’s reaction caught my attention first. It was a wide-eyed smile with astonishment around the edges. Bella simply snorted a laugh and shook her head. You’d just get in the way, I could practically hear her think.
“Thank you for your offer dear, but I think we’ve got it covered,” Esme placated, kissing my forehead.
“Ok,” I shrugged, and continued to watch and drift through the house.
I didn’t get any time alone with my Sugar, but the day wasn’t about just the two of us, it was about our family. When the time finally came, the six of us sat around the dining table, a hopeful empty chair left out for Charlie. Esme, in true nostalgic motherly fashion, insisted upon each of us saying what we were most thankful for.
“I’ll begin,” Emmett started. “I’m thankful for family and friends, I’m thankful for my beautiful and sexy Rose, I’m thankful to have my Belley-Bear back in my life. Hands down, she is the best thing that’s happened all year. And I’m super thankful for that big, juicy-looking Turkey whose leg is calling my name!” Typical.
Alice and my father’s thanks were much more eloquent but just as heartfelt.
“Uhm, my turn I guess,” Bella started after Carlisle had finished. She shifted in her seat before continuing. “I’m thankful that I’ve finally come home. I’m thankful that I’m alive and that I’ve found someone worth living for,” Bella paused to look at me with a shy smile. “Thank you Edward. I’m thankful for Emmett, for the being the best brother a person could hope for. I’m thankful for Alice, she is the sister I never had. I’m thankful for everyone new and old that I’ve come home to, because that’s what you all are: you’re where my heart is.” Once finished, she stared longingly at the empty chair next to her.
 How could I follow that?
“I’m thankful for Bella,” I continued without pause, “because she’s the best thing that’s ever happened to me, and not just this year,” I shot Emmett a good-natured, yet challenging glance. “And for my family. Esme, ma, I’m thankful that you didn’t give up on me, because you prepared me for meeting the amazing person seated to my right. Thanks Alice for putting up with my bullshit, and still wanting to be my sister. Thank you, dad, for being a great father and model of an honorable man. So… yea.”
Silence.
Unknowingly, I went to reach for the lighter in my pocket when Bella stilled my hand. Looking up finally, I saw Esme’s face dripping with tears. Shit, I hadn’t wanted to make anyone cry. I was such a jackass. Before I could apologize for whatever I had said wrong, Esme took her turn.
“I’m thankful for Bella because she has been the best thing to happen in my son’s life. She showed him how lucky he was to have two loving mothers with double the love, and how to be a man. Bella, you’ve changed him for the better. I look at him and am awed at how thoughtful, respectable, and openly caring he has shown himself to be. He is becoming the man he was supposed to be.” Esme’s thanks were unexpected. “I’m thankful for Carlisle, the love of my life, for blessing me with this beautiful life and beautiful family, and I’m very thankful for my little angel, Alice. I love you all…Let’s eat.”
I know I’m not fucking perfect and I’m certainly not a perfect gentleman. I can be a moody prick from time to time, but hearing that from Esme was… unreal. I had been trying so goddamned hard to be better… for Bella. I had to be responsible for someone other than myself, and even myself for the first time. It seemed as though it didn’t matter about all the fucked up shit I’ve done in the past, the girls I messed around with, the amount of alcohol I consumed, the fights I got in, the drugs I did… after Bella showed up, it didn’t matter. She redeemed me, and Esme saw it, of all people. My heart clenched.
Everyone seemed to move at once, reaching for one thing or another: Bella for her cheesy green-bean casserole, Alice for her mashed potatoes, Carlisle for the silly cranberry sauce he liked so well, Emmett for the turkey of course, and Esme for the salad. I sat, stunned. How could people eat at a time like this? Well… nevermind. That was what today was about, right? Being fucking thankful.
When I reached for the rolls, Esme lightly grabbed my hand with a gentle squeeze and released it.
Heavy day.
From that interaction on, the dinner became joyful. Yes, members of the family were missing, but the easy chemistry our blended family had was healing in a sense. It had even seemed that Bella forgot her father’s absence in that time and the reason for it.
With the dinner dishes cleared, the meal digesting before dessert, Alice brought out a deck of cards, insisting that a couple rounds of Hold ‘em was the perfect palate cleanser. That damn little pixy won three hands in a row.
“You’re fucking cheating, Al!” I cursed, throwing down my hand. “That’s three in a row! Where are you stuffing your cards? This is bullshit!”
“Edward,” her laughter tinkled, “You’re the dealer!” Bella had not stopped laughing the entire game. The lines of worry around her eyes had long-since dissipated.
“Who’s ready for dessert?” Esme called, coming out of the kitchen.
“ME!” Emmett shouted the loudest as he jumped up, nearly knocking the coffee table over.
Bella and I were the last to leave the family room. Her eyes were tense, and posture wary. Grabbing her hand, she stopped in her tracks.
“He’ll come,” I assured. Her expression tightened with apprehension.
“How can you be sure? What if he got shot? What if Aro eluded the cops? What if Vicky never gave her statement? There is so much that could go wrong, Edward,” she admitted in defeat.
Her fears were my fears, as well as the rest of us involved. Bella had been strong all day, and now as the day was coming to a close and she had yet to even get a wayward text from her father, she was approaching her breaking point.
“Because we have to trust that it will. Your father is a capable police chief. No news is good news right?” I wasn’t sure myself, but for her sake I had to be. “Come on, let’s just get some of that delicious pie you wouldn’t let me eat yesterday,” I winked. She nodded and we joined the rest of the family.
As Esme served the delicately-cut slices of pie, having shunned Emmett from even touching a knife, a knock sounded at the front door. Six pairs of eyes trained on the direction of the front door as Carlisle stood to answer it. I pulled Bella closer, needing her as she undoubtedly needed me.
“Charlie! Come on in, just in time for dessert,” we heard Carlisle usher in Chief Swan. A collective sigh of relief was had by Alice, Emmett, Bella and me. As soon as Bella could untangle the present reality from her twisted nightmares, she was out of her chair and in Charlie’s arms in seconds.
“Dad,” I heard her muffle into his police jacket. His arms awkwardly wound themselves around his daughter’s clinging form. Physical affection was not Charlie’s forte.
“So… how’d it go?” Emmett hesitated as he approached his father and sister.
“We got ‘em,” Charlie beamed.

.::.